donderdag 14 november 2013

Everybody needs light in their life :)

This week (until Saturday the 16th) the city Eindhoven is the city of light. Artists, students and children all worked on the greatest works of art with light. Glow is a five kilometer walk (give or take) and there's lots of sideshows in different buildings that you pass by (or choose to go in). Lastly there's a different part of the city, Strijp S, where there's lots of stuff as well.

It was a very rainy day. First me and my dad had dinner and then we took off to the festival of lights - rain coats and all. We didn't start at the beginning - you're walking in a circle anyway, so there's no real need for that - but started at the first point we came to. There were three sort of flying fish, soaring on the wind. It was beautiful and great to start with.



Next we came to a tree, where the lights changed on the beat of the music. It was very beautiful. Just take a look ;-).
 
 

Of course we had a map on us, but there were so many people that we didn't even need it. We could just follow the crowd. It was the opening of the festival, so it was really busy. There were also a lot of queues to see the side shows, so we skipped most of them. Usually these are quite good, but it was just so cold and rainy that both me and my dad didn't fancy waiting around for hours. Another thing was that there was already a lot to see and I was very tired (I already worked the morning shift - which meant getting up at 4 o clock in the morning), because it was turning out to be a very long day.


This is one of the things I really enjoyed. I love how they can just fit everything exactly like the house. The house changed colours and I must admit that it kinda reminded me of the flower power times, but I still liked it. They were beautiful and the colours were very bright and sharp. It was pretty awesome. Below you can see another house where they did the same. These houses also reminded me a little of the Efteling (one of the themeparks that mainly focuses on fairytales), because of their bright and lively colours. The one below especially makes me think of Hansel and Gretl :P.



One of the highlights is always the Catherine Church. It's such an amazing show, defying laws of physics and messing with your brain: It's awesome. So my dad and I got there and it was very quiet, so we could get a great spot to check it out. Images were being projected onto it, but no sound appeared. And... nothing happened on the left side of the church! So we waited and waited for something more spectacular to happen, but it didn't... Only a guy showed up, saying that it wasn't functioning correctly and we should come back in 1,5-2 hours. That's how much time it would take for it to get fixed. So my dad and I moved along.


As I said, we didn't start at the beginning, but we arrived at the starting point about half way there. And let me tell you, that was quite an impressive show. It was a water and lights show. Above a pond there was this thing that blew the water upwards and onto that a 3D DRAGON was projected!!! Man that was awesome! You had to find the right place to stand though, because if you stood by the sides of the pond, it would simply be like looking at a projecter screen: You'd see colours but no real picture or the 3D dragon. It was kinda epic.

My dad and I were both really curious about what was happening in the PSV stadium (from the soccer team that celebrated it's 100 years this year). It took a while to get in and even than we weren't sure what was gonna happen. We still had a lot to see, so we ended up walking right through it instead. Stupid choice as it turns out, because above you can see the spectacular light show they created.


Across from it, there was one side show that we both really wanted to see. Because they wanted to recreate the northern light (if that's how you say it). It was nice, they used steam and everything, but it wasn't that mesmerizing as I'd hoped. We saw a lot of little things as well, like the flowers in the water and the stuff that kids made. Finally, around 22.30h we were back where we started from. We had walked for over 2,5 hours and I was incredibly tired, soar feet and I still had to get back to Utrecht.

Just like previous years I enjoyed going, even with the bad weather. Yes it was cold and we probably didn't take as much time as we usually do or saw as much as previous years, but nonetheless it was another great year of Glow.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten