maandag 16 januari 2012

Resolutions and eating

As mentioned before, I have a couple of new years resolutions. The first one is lame in the sense that I don't really do new years resolutions. I think it's better to come up with different things to live a better life instead of just thinking of doing something for a while. Things I would love to do is do more volunteer work and live healthier. I already started with the last one.

I wouldn't say that I'm a vegetarian, but I try to eat as little meat as possible. This is for several reasons, one of which is that I don't like the idea of eating meat. Whenever I eat meat (and I know what kind of meat it is) I see the animal it used to be and I can feel it when I chew on it... Which I really can't stand. It's awful and I don't like it, because it gives me a very bad feeling. I like animals, but I never had any troubles with eating meat on bread or at diner, but when I start picturing it, I can't enjoy it anymore. Which is ultimatly a good thing, because I also believe it's healthier to eat no meat. Other reasons are the ways in which the animals are treated, the way we as people mass consume and that producing it as food is actually bad for the environment. Just to name a few. I actually became a vegeterian, because my mother was one and we didn't eat that much meat anyway. Then my sister went in that direction and I started to learn more about it and it got me thinking. I found myself ordering less meat in restaurants than usual and not eating that much meat at home anymore either. When I went to live on my own, I realized that I would never be able to make any kind of food that was animal. I get sick just thinking about having to cut into meat or boiling it... All in all, I'm very glad about my decision to eat as less meat as possible, however long it may have taken me to get here.

But there is still a healthier way to eat, namely veganism. This is something I am new at. And I'm not saying that I'm going to lead a total veganism life, but I think it is good to try it. And by that I mean, I will try to eat as a vegan at least once a week. The thing is, to eat vegan, you really have to know what you can and can't eat. You start to think about what kind of ingredients are in your food and believe me: You do not want to know all of it, because then you would probably not eat half the stuff you are eating now. So I have a lot of work ahead of me and I'm very excited to do it. I mean, who knew there is fish in wine? Or that there's a lot of 'poison' in foods that actually make you fat. So by eating healthier, you'd be eating less poison, and more natural products. It's kinda recovering the art of making food yourself. If all you have to do is add water, it's easy. But you don't know what you are eating, it's done pretty damn fast and you can't really take any credit for preparing diner. If, on the other hand, you take ingredients, natural products/vegetables and such and you make something from scratch, you can take a look at the end result and be proud of making something delicious. All by your own making. And I'm really looking forward to trying some of that!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten